Structural Mechanics Engineer Role Overview
Design Simulation for SOLIDWORKS Users powered by proven world-class Abaqus Realistic Simulation technology in a seamless, intuitive, and modern user interface within the 3DEXPERIENCE® platform.
Understanding product performance under extreme loading and deformation requires a robust non-linear solution. Structural Mechanics Engineer enables analysts to tackle the most challenging of static non-linear problems.
Combined with SOLIDWORKS Simulation, Structural Mechanics Engineer delivers a unique, easy and integrated workflow to solve more advanced problems while allowing customers to reuse their SOLIDWORKS geometry, loads, restraints and materials.
Cloud-based simulation software
Structural Mechanics Engineer on the cloud-based 3DEXPERIENCE® platform enables you to conduct structural linear and non-linear static, low and high-speed dynamic and thermal simulation of product behavior. Its material calibration capabilities help ensure accurate material behavior modeling. The platform lets your engineering teams collaborate in real time and securely share simulation results from anywhere and on any device.
You can run simulations on both your local machine or in the cloud. Leverage the growing suite of apps available on the platform aiming to help you with all facets of creating innovative, successful products.
- Structural analyses (static or quasi-static, frequency, buckling, mode-based steady-state or transient dynamic, random response, non-linear dynamic)
- Thermal analyses or sequential thermal-stress analyses (both transient or steady state)
- Coupled multiphysics analyses, including the thermal-electrochemical procedure useful for battery engineering perspective
- Axis symmetric idealization for fast structural analyses, especially useful in a preliminary design context to determine trends
- Advanced capability from modeling and meshing, with possible automated creation (e.g.mid-surfacing), scenario definition, execution, results visualization, and report generation
- Embedded tokens for running the analysis
Structural Mechanics Engineer Benefits
Flexible design workflows and real-time collaboration
Provide a Robust Engineering Workflow Fully Associative with SOLIDWORKS® 3D CAD
- Connecting SOLIDWORKS® 3D CAD to the cloud-based 3DEXPERIENCE platform enables your team to save and manage your SOLIDWORKS geometry on the platform directly from SOLIDWORKS and share it through a browser.
- Once on the platform, you can easily test SOLIDWORKS geometries with Structural Mechanics Engineer relying on full simulation associativity for best-in-class designs simulation workflows.
- Enable traceable revisions of what-if scenarios for efficient engineering workflows.
Solve Complex Engineering Problems
- Enable your engineering team to conduct a large variety of analysis procedures (linear and nonlinear static, nonlinear implicit and explicit dynamic, frequency, thermal, and more) to ensure validation accuracy and robustness.
- Use implicit and explicit methods to cover a very wide range of structural simulation applications such as drop tests, impacts, crash, snap fits, gasket compression and pre-loaded bolted assemblies.
- Efficiently handle large displacements, large rotations and large strain, improving simulation accuracy. Simulate multiple and sequential load cases to represent exactly the real loading conditions.
Offer a Productive Meshing and Modeling Environment
- Use reliable contact detection capability to ensure accurate interactions prediction even on large models.
- Enable users to simulate any type of geometry with reliable meshing tools (beam, shell, or solid including tetrahedron and brick elements) and improve pre-processing efficiency.
- Use the large material models library to define the right behavior (including non-linear behavior such as hyper-elasticity or plasticity) and ensure simulation fidelity.
- Standardize and democratize your simulation workflows enabling experts to easily customize the user interface and guide non-experts or first-time users through the simulation workflow.
- Analyze and validate structural strength during concept, basic and detailed design phases to minimize cost of prototyping, reduce weight. Reduce risks associated with structural certification.
- Detailed structural validation from sub-system level to coupon level
- Minimize vehicle weight, thus maximizing efficiency and range
- Increase certification confidence in early and detailed design phases
- Reduce expensive and challenging physical tests
SIMULIA Role Matrix
Determine which Role suits your analysis needs
Save SOLIDWORKS data on the cloud-based 3DEXPERIENCE® platform directly from SOLIDWORKS
|Full Design Associativity|
Enable efficient what-if scenarios that update your simulation model for any change made with a CAD application connected to the platform
Follow an interactive wizard to set up, run and review results of simulation
|Physics Methods Reuse|
Customize the User Assistant to streamline the setup and solving of complex simulations
|Platform||Data Access and Management|
Access the latest product design information from a single, centralized, secure location on the cloud
Collaborate in real time, exchange ideas and manage tasks across disciplines on the cloud
|Lightweight Results Review|
Review and share simulation results in real time on the cloud
|Solver||Abaqus Implicit Solver|
Solve static problems such as gasket compression and pre-loaded bolts
|Abaqus Implicit Dynamic Solver|
Solve quasi-static problems such as snap fits
|Abaqus Explicit Solver|
Solve nonlinear dynamic problems such as drop test and impact
|Scenario||Linear Static Analysis|
Run linear static, thermal (steady-state), frequency, and linear buckling studies
|Linear Dynamic Analysis|
Run modal transient, and model harmonic studies
|Nonlinear Static Analysis|
Run nonlinear static, thermal (transient) and visco/creep studies
|Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis|
Run nonlinear dynamic, nonlinear buckling, random vibrations, complex frequency, and sub-modeling studies
|Sequential Multi-Step Simulations|
Set-up automatic sequential loading in one simulation
|Abaqus General Contact|
Automatically set up component contact
Set up modeling of multiple components in an assembly
|Adaptive Solid Meshing|
Automatically refine meshes for higher accuracy where needed
|Comprehensive Meshing Capabilities|
Create high-quality meshes for solids, shells, and beams
Set meshing size and specifications (holes, fillets) for automatic high-quality mesh creation
|Geometry Preparation & Simplification|
Automatically remove undesired geometry (holes, fillets, logos), extract mid-surface, and partition geometry for hex meshing
Explore a wide range of materials with the following properties: hyper-elasticity, plastic or permanent deformation, creep deformation, viscoelasticity
Use test data to calibrate model behavior
|Results||Basic Post-Processing Tools|
Generate report, contour/vector/iso-surface plots
|Advanced Post-Processing Tools|
Create XY plots (field, history), path plots, view cuts
Create stunning visuals coupling material rendering with simulation results
Accelerate the visualization of results even on large models
Run simulations on user’s local computer
Run simulations remotely on the cloud
+ Requires an additional role
Structural Mechanics Engineer Features
3D Creator is fully on the cloud—all you need to start designing is an internet connection.
Comprehensive Results Investigation Experience
Enable high-performance results visualization, particularly for very large models including realistic rendering.
- Facilitate collaborative decision making across the organization using online dashboards to review, compare, and perform trade-offs between design alternatives.
- Run simulation computations on multiple cores either on a local computer or remotely on the cloud* to free up local machines for other work.
Connect to SOLIDWORKS Desktop
The 3DEXPERIENCE platform enables your organization to efficiently manage all facets of your product development process while reducing infrastructure costs, IT overhead, software maintenance and complexity. Your teams can take advantage of the following platform capabilities:
- Securely view, share, annotate, discuss and manage designs and simulation data from anywhere, at any time and on any device with a web browser
- Collaborate with all internal and external team members through cloud-based dashboards, messaging, activity streams, communities and drag-and-drop task management
3DEXPERIENCE Works provides a Safe, Social, Connected, Informed and Structured environment for team leaders, project managers and other professionals who want to manage data on the cloud and collaborate without constraints.
Safe: Customer controlled access. Transparent cloud backup. Encrypted communication protocols. Data always safe-no overwrite, no loss of data.
Social: Integrated structured and unstructured collaboration tools enabling social innovation. Collaborate on product design or engage with your stakeholders early in product development.
Connected: Every user always connected to a single, common database. Access data anywhere, anytime, on any device. Review and markup models.
Informed: Choose from the widget library, Create and share Dashboards. Get the latest information about your product development. Always have access to your latest data.
Structured: Zero overhead data management - store and manage data across collaborative spaces, share information in communities. Find indexed data faster by using tags, custom search, etc.