Structural Performance Engineer Role Overview
Design Simulation for SOLIDWORKS Users powered by proven world-class Abaqus Realistic Simulation technology in a seamless, intuitive, and modern user interface within the 3DEXPERIENCE® platform.
Extend SOLIDWORKS Simulation with a tightly integrated, cloud-based solution and solve complex physics with confidence. Built on the cloud-based Dassault Systèmes 3DEXPERIENCE Platform, Structural Performance Engineer can run simulations on both your local machine or in the cloud.
Cloud-based simulation software
Structural Performance Engineer provides a broad environment to conduct structural static, frequency, buckling, modal dynamic response, and structural thermal simulation of parts and assemblies within the 3DEXPERIENCE platform. It boosts innovation in product engineering and fosters collaboration in an intuitive environment using state-of-the art Abaqus simulation technology.
Combined with SOLIDWORKS Simulation, Structural Professional Engineer delivers a unique, easy and integrated workflow to solve more advanced problems while allowing customers to reuse their SOLIDWORKS geometry, loads, restraints and materials.
You can run simulations on both your local machine or in the cloud. Leverage the growing suite of apps available on the platform aiming to help you with all facets of creating innovative, successful products.
Structural Performance Engineer Capabilities
Understand product performance under extreme loading and deformation
Provide a Robust Engineering Workflow Fully Associative with SOLIDWORKS® 3D CAD
- Connecting SOLIDWORKS® 3D CAD to the cloud-based 3DEXPERIENCE platform enables your team to save and manage your SOLIDWORKS geometry on the platform directly from SOLIDWORKS and share it through a browser.
- Once on the platform, you can easily test SOLIDWORKS geometries with Structural Performance Engineer relying on full simulation associativity for best-in-class designs simulation workflows.
Solve Complex Engineering Problems
- Analysis of sequential loading events (multi-step analysis).
- Linear and nonlinear structural static analysis.
- Thermal, coupled and sequential thermal-structural analysis.
- Dynamic response analysis including frequency, modal transient and modal harmonic analysis, as well as complex eigenvalue extraction.
- Advanced nonlinear material options including engineering plasticity for metals and hyperelasticity for rubber.
- Simulation of realistic behavior under a variety of structural loading and boundary conditions.
- Robust meshing tools, including rule-based meshing, with 1D, 2D, and 3D elements.
- Advanced capabilities for deformable, intermittent contact (surface pairs, automatic detection, general contact and initialization) between parts and assemblies.
- A wide selection of connection and connector options for modeling fasteners and mechanisms.
- Efficient post processing and reporting tools to interpret, understand and share product behavior and validation.
Familiar Simulation Experience
- The simulation experience delivered by Structural Performance Engineer fits within the designer’s familiar design environment.
- Enables simulation of the physical behavior of parts and assemblies so that virtual testing can be conducted before physical prototypes are available for a faster product development process.
- The intuitive user experience makes simulation adoption possible for all designers.
- Users receive continuous guidance regarding where they are in the simulation process and what they need to do next, for easy adoption
- Sophisticated simulation technology is used automatically, while the options presented to the user are intuitive and explained in the language of product designers.
Collaboration is built into the underlying 3DEXPERIENCE
- Data management, collaboration, and communities are all part of the global solution.
- Models built in Structural Performance Engineer can be shared directly with advanced simulation tools to enable the entire simulation team to collaborate with designers.
- Simulation Results can be easily reviewed by any project stakeholders in the 3DEXPERIENCE dashboard so they become insights for technical and business decision
SIMULIA Role Matrix
Determine which Role suits your analysis needs
Save SOLIDWORKS data on the cloud-based 3DEXPERIENCE® platform directly from SOLIDWORKS
|Full Design Associativity|
Enable efficient what-if scenarios that update your simulation model for any change made with a CAD application connected to the platform
Follow an interactive wizard to set up, run and review results of simulation
|Physics Methods Reuse|
Customize the User Assistant to streamline the setup and solving of complex simulations
|Platform||Data Access and Management|
Access the latest product design information from a single, centralized, secure location on the cloud
Collaborate in real time, exchange ideas and manage tasks across disciplines on the cloud
|Lightweight Results Review|
Review and share simulation results in real time on the cloud
|Solver||Abaqus Implicit Solver|
Solve static problems such as gasket compression and pre-loaded bolts
|Abaqus Implicit Dynamic Solver|
Solve quasi-static problems such as snap fits
|Abaqus Explicit Solver|
Solve nonlinear dynamic problems such as drop test and impact
|Scenario||Linear Static Analysis|
Run linear static, thermal (steady-state), frequency, and linear buckling studies
|Linear Dynamic Analysis|
Run modal transient, and model harmonic studies
|Nonlinear Static Analysis|
Run nonlinear static, thermal (transient) and visco/creep studies
|Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis|
Run nonlinear dynamic, nonlinear buckling, random vibrations, complex frequency, and sub-modeling studies
|Sequential Multi-Step Simulations|
Set-up automatic sequential loading in one simulation
|Abaqus General Contact|
Automatically set up component contact
Set up modeling of multiple components in an assembly
|Adaptive Solid Meshing|
Automatically refine meshes for higher accuracy where needed
|Comprehensive Meshing Capabilities|
Create high-quality meshes for solids, shells, and beams
Set meshing size and specifications (holes, fillets) for automatic high-quality mesh creation
|Geometry Preparation & Simplification|
Automatically remove undesired geometry (holes, fillets, logos), extract mid-surface, and partition geometry for hex meshing
Explore a wide range of materials with the following properties: hyper-elasticity, plastic or permanent deformation, creep deformation, viscoelasticity
Use test data to calibrate model behavior
|Results||Basic Post-Processing Tools|
Generate report, contour/vector/iso-surface plots
|Advanced Post-Processing Tools|
Create XY plots (field, history), path plots, view cuts
Create stunning visuals coupling material rendering with simulation results
Accelerate the visualization of results even on large models
Run simulations on user’s local computer
Run simulations remotely on the cloud
+ Requires an additional role
Structural Performance Engineer Features
Apply simulation directly to your design geometry
Interaction between CAD & PLM
With Structural Performance Engineer, users build simulation models directly on the design geometry.
- Tight associativity with CATIA and SOLIDWORKS means that simulation and CAD always remain synchronized even after design changes.
- Provides access to advanced simulation technology within a consistent and intuitive interface.
Easy to use Interface
The Structural Performance Engineer user experience is designed to greatly accelerate simulation adoption during the design process.
- Sophisticated simulation technology is used automatically, while the options presented to users are meaningful and intuitive for fast product integration in the engineering process.
- Automation with control is the key. The finite element mesh is created automatically and can be refined easily with local mesh control on geometry.
The 3DEXPERIENCE platform enables your organization to efficiently manage all facets of your product development process while reducing infrastructure costs, IT overhead, software maintenance and complexity. Your teams can take advantage of the following platform capabilities:
- Securely view, share, annotate, discuss and manage designs and simulation data from anywhere, at any time and on any device with a web browser
- Collaborate with all internal and external team members through cloud-based dashboards, messaging, activity streams, communities and drag-and-drop task management
3DEXPERIENCE Works provides a Safe, Social, Connected, Informed and Structured environment for team leaders, project managers and other professionals who want to manage data on the cloud and collaborate without constraints.
Safe: Customer controlled access. Transparent cloud backup. Encrypted communication protocols. Data always safe-no overwrite, no loss of data.
Social: Integrated structured and unstructured collaboration tools enabling social innovation. Collaborate on product design or engage with your stakeholders early in product development.
Connected: Every user always connected to a single, common database. Access data anywhere, anytime, on any device. Review and markup models.
Informed: Choose from the widget library, Create and share Dashboards. Get the latest information about your product development. Always have access to your latest data.
Structured: Zero overhead data management - store and manage data across collaborative spaces, share information in communities. Find indexed data faster by using tags, custom search, etc.